Skip to main content

Taking the First Step-So now you have decided to go back to work


I have admitted to myself that I want to go back 
to work. That wasn't too difficult, but I imagine it will be more difficult to say it out loud to others, but for now what can I do? 

These are some of the steps we have taken or wish we had taken to get moving. We will talk in more detail about these and other topics in later blog posts, but for those of you who are looking for a roadmap, here are a few first steps to take.

  •  Network: think about your family, friends, volunteer peers, and sideline parents as your network beyond former work colleagues. You'd be surprised  how many folks will be willing to introduce you to someone you want to meet. Try to open as many doors as possible.
  •  It’s a technical world:  let technology be your assistant - use Google searches, Linkedin, and websites such as Indeed.com or Glassdoor.com to help you to do research, look for job openings, and make connections. When reviewing or looking at these sites, look for current terminology to use in your conversations, resume, and correspondence.
  • Social media is useful: follow people or places at companies where you would like to work and look for job postings. Learn how to use Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter. You don't have to post if that's not your thing, however there can be lots to learn from following a company's social media.
Remember, ask for help - you would be surprised how many people will be more than willing to go to bat for you. Get started!


·     


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Will you have time to do it all....?'

‘I am going back to work!’ I proudly announced to just about anyone who would listen.    Many people were very supportive, my younger child was heading to kindergarten and though I had indeed devoted my focus to being a full-time mother for the prior several years, I missed the intellectual stimulation and connection with the professional world.   I was surprised by the number of… lukewarm reactions to my proclamation.   ‘What about your kids?', people would ask.   ‘How are you going to manage?’…. ‘How will you have time to do it all?’…. ‘What about your social life?’ (aww… how cute that people actually think my social life could be a real constraint)   ‘Have you thought about a career change… maybe re-train as a teacher or something with mothers’ hours?’ To be honest, at the beginning of my back to work journey, these questions did rattle me a bit.   Obviously, there were some compelling and attractive factors fueling my desire to return to work.   The thought of earning m

A Perfectly Imperfect Re-entry Tale

You GOT the job! After what seems like an eternity of looking you are ready to start your new job. You have that feeling you get on a roller coaster as you head for the first drop, nervous but excited. There is a vision in your head of a parade heralding your triumphant return to the working world. Surely everyone is as happy and excited for you to be there as you are, right? In reality, it's more subtle. Kander and Ebb beautifully describes it in the song A Quiet Thing . The song begins with the lyrics," When it all comes true just the way you planned, its funny the bells don't ring. It's a quiet thing.", that capture how it really feels. Wait...what? Try it's more like Murphy's Law. On my first day back to work, I was prepared. I had mapped out my commuting route. I got up early to make sure I could get the kids off to school and leave for work with plenty of time to spare. I had a killer outfit picked out. I was ready to take on the world. Well i

Informational Interviews: A Getting to Know You Meeting

So, you’re ready to go back to work!  You know you have the skills and the motivation.  You’ve checked the job postings online, maybe even done a few applications.  Now… you wait.