Skip to main content

Yikes -I have an interview

Yikes –I have an interview! 
Now what...

The last few months have been filled with activities to get that first interview. I have put myself out there to network, defined my “brand” and come up with versions of my “elevator pitch”, updated my Linkedin profile and much more.  My networking and resume have attracted attention; I have struck gold so to speak and now I have an interview. Yikes, I better get ready.

What do I do first? For me it was easiest to research the company and the people who would interview me.  As we have said in other posts, technology helps.  Google searches on the company, similar jobs, the people I will meet was informative reading material.  Conversations with folks in my network helped me form a picture of what it would be like in this role at this company.  I learned what I could about the culture, the marketplace, the salaries, what others thought of or said about the company and so much more. Now it was time to blend my skills and experience with the needs of the new position.

I spent time thinking about the job description and what I had to offer the role.  I created a bulleted list of talking points. This work wasn't done in one sitting rather over a few days, each time I looked at the list with new perspective and tweaked the words. Now, I had to face what I feared - practice answering questions that might be asked of me. How do I do that so the interviewer (s) will think I was the right person for the role. For me that was the easy part, I had made a friend at a back-to-work workshop, I trusted her to give me honest and respectful feedback in a thoughtful way. I told her about my interview and she offered to practice. Bingo! I was on my way.

We met at a cafe and sat as one would in an interview.  The mock interview started, she asked a question in a way I hadn't thought about it being asked, I laughed, started to talk, she said "start again." We talked about what the question could highlight in my resume and how to shape the answer, how to pause and be thoughtful about my responses, and of course we laughed.  Another question was posed, by the third, fourth and fifth time it was getting easier.  The words started to sound like my own sound bites and not bullet points on a page. 

Laughter and a willingness to let others see myself not at my best has helped me along the way. Little did I know, practicing the interview was also helping me be an open and interested candidate to interview.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Will you have time to do it all....?'

‘I am going back to work!’ I proudly announced to just about anyone who would listen.    Many people were very supportive, my younger child was heading to kindergarten and though I had indeed devoted my focus to being a full-time mother for the prior several years, I missed the intellectual stimulation and connection with the professional world.   I was surprised by the number of… lukewarm reactions to my proclamation.   ‘What about your kids?', people would ask.   ‘How are you going to manage?’…. ‘How will you have time to do it all?’…. ‘What about your social life?’ (aww… how cute that people actually think my social life could be a real constraint)   ‘Have you thought about a career change… maybe re-train as a teacher or something with mothers’ hours?’ To be honest, at the beginning of my back to work journey, these questions did rattle me a bit.   Obviously, there were some compelling and attractive factors fueling my desire to return to work.   The thought of earning m

A Perfectly Imperfect Re-entry Tale

You GOT the job! After what seems like an eternity of looking you are ready to start your new job. You have that feeling you get on a roller coaster as you head for the first drop, nervous but excited. There is a vision in your head of a parade heralding your triumphant return to the working world. Surely everyone is as happy and excited for you to be there as you are, right? In reality, it's more subtle. Kander and Ebb beautifully describes it in the song A Quiet Thing . The song begins with the lyrics," When it all comes true just the way you planned, its funny the bells don't ring. It's a quiet thing.", that capture how it really feels. Wait...what? Try it's more like Murphy's Law. On my first day back to work, I was prepared. I had mapped out my commuting route. I got up early to make sure I could get the kids off to school and leave for work with plenty of time to spare. I had a killer outfit picked out. I was ready to take on the world. Well i

Informational Interviews: A Getting to Know You Meeting

So, you’re ready to go back to work!  You know you have the skills and the motivation.  You’ve checked the job postings online, maybe even done a few applications.  Now… you wait.