Skip to main content

Back to Work - What's it like?

The calendar said it had been 19 years since I held traditional paid full time work. Those years were filled with family and friends, part-time work, volunteer experiences and elected roles but along the way I yearned to be back at work. Eventually, I tick that box and the goal was achieved,  I was offered and accepted a full time role in my field of interest!

Everyone asked me "What was I going to do before I started back to work?" - was I going to start or finish projects at home, was I going to travel, was I going to visit old and new friends However, I wasn't going to intentionally do any of those things, I was going to wake up every day knowing that the schedule and rhythm of these days was of my own making and that would soon change.

The morning arrived when it was time to head to work.  With an office dress code of  'dress for the day', I selected a casual dress and sweater.  I wanted to look like I had never left the office but not be over or under dressed.  At the office I was overwhelmed by the many people welcoming me and asking about my story. I met men whose wives had gone back to work or were thinking about returning, women who had taken a break and colleagues whose moms were balancing kids, parents, family, other commitments and work like me.

My returnship status -contractor- meant I wouldn't be attending the same training as new employees but I was welcomed by my new colleagues. They were excited to greet me, give me a tour, and go out to lunch.  I got to know the technology help desk well and did my best to try to remember everyone's name.  At the time, I didn't know that other members of my department had joined the company months before me so being new was not new to this group; I later learned that I shared many of the same new experiences with them.

In the first weeks my spare moments were used to read the company website, learn more about my department, other employees, processes and walk to other parts of the building to learn my way around. Like every new experience there is something new to learn every day.

"But what is it like to be back?" everyone asked.  In many ways it felt like there hadn't been a time when I wasn't employed.  I use my skills and knowledge to get work done, add value where I can and come up to speed with new vocabulary and a new company. Feeling strong about being at work, I dive into new tasks and projects.  Some days go well and at other times something doesn't go as planned.  Most often than not the stumbling block is technological. More often than not it is something is fixed with a quick call to the help desk and I learn that the other new employees are having similar learning experiences.  I remind myself that I am like all new employees and we are experiencing transition using the skills I have acquired in my various experiences helps me get through the good and the bad. However, for me, focusing on one thing all day makes doing the job easier than the multitasking I experienced at home.  As we say to one another in our blog group -"we've got this" when we use each other as resources to find answers, share experiences and most importantly look at things from a new perspective.  It's good to be back.


Want to share your back to work experience?  Leave a comment here on We've Got This.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Will you have time to do it all....?'

‘I am going back to work!’ I proudly announced to just about anyone who would listen.    Many people were very supportive, my younger child was heading to kindergarten and though I had indeed devoted my focus to being a full-time mother for the prior several years, I missed the intellectual stimulation and connection with the professional world.   I was surprised by the number of… lukewarm reactions to my proclamation.   ‘What about your kids?', people would ask.   ‘How are you going to manage?’…. ‘How will you have time to do it all?’…. ‘What about your social life?’ (aww… how cute that people actually think my social life could be a real constraint)   ‘Have you thought about a career change… maybe re-train as a teacher or something with mothers’ hours?’ To be honest, at the beginning of my back to work journey, these questions did rattle me a bit.   Obviously, there were some compelling and attractive factors fueling my desire to return to work.   The thought of earning m

Informational Interviews: A Getting to Know You Meeting

So, you’re ready to go back to work!  You know you have the skills and the motivation.  You’ve checked the job postings online, maybe even done a few applications.  Now… you wait.

A Perfectly Imperfect Re-entry Tale

You GOT the job! After what seems like an eternity of looking you are ready to start your new job. You have that feeling you get on a roller coaster as you head for the first drop, nervous but excited. There is a vision in your head of a parade heralding your triumphant return to the working world. Surely everyone is as happy and excited for you to be there as you are, right? In reality, it's more subtle. Kander and Ebb beautifully describes it in the song A Quiet Thing . The song begins with the lyrics," When it all comes true just the way you planned, its funny the bells don't ring. It's a quiet thing.", that capture how it really feels. Wait...what? Try it's more like Murphy's Law. On my first day back to work, I was prepared. I had mapped out my commuting route. I got up early to make sure I could get the kids off to school and leave for work with plenty of time to spare. I had a killer outfit picked out. I was ready to take on the world. Well i