Skip to main content

Health and Wellness Tips

Going back to work can be a stressful time for you and your family.  Many of us don’t think about keeping our mind and body healthy as an important part of the job search process.  But it is!        


So you have decided to go back to work and there is so much to do - and it can be overwhelming.  The process is going to take time, and there are going to be highs ("I'm so excited, I got an interview!") and lows ("I am really bummed, I didn't get the job").  During this time, it's very easy to ignore ourselves without even realizing we are doing it.  

So now is the time to pay special attention to self-care.  Eating a well-balanced diet, exercising and finding time to quiet our minds will help you stay focused and balanced. It's hard to convince someone you are excited for a position in an interview when you feel crappy because you're hungry, tired or you have filled your mind with self-doubt.   So go ahead and give yourself permission to treat yourself like a treasured friend or honored guest.   

Make an effort to eat well.  This blog won't go into any specific diet tips as there is a wealth of information on the internet on eating well.  Minimally, just make sure you are eating a balanced diet for the day and drinking plenty of water. Listen to your body. Try to stay away from foods that make you feel listless, tired or simply uncomfortable after eating them.  (For me, I have tried to limit my sugar intake while searching for a job because I feel better and more alert with less sugar.  But to be clear, CHOCOLATE is always a part of my day.) If you are so motivated, start a diet plan that suits your needs.

Make an effort to keep moving.  If you are someone who has a workout routine, keep doing it.  Avoid falling into the habit of skipping it.  If you don't, consider joining a gym, taking spin classes or maybe going to yoga is your thing.  It does not have to be an intense experience.   Even simply taking a walk for 20 minutes is worthwhile and does not cost any money.  According to a study by the University of British Columbia, regular aerobic exercise boosts the area of the brain that involves memory and learning.  So find something that works for you, and make a point of doing it a few times a week.

Make an effort to quiet your mind.   This is a time when that inner voice will be full of non-stop chatter.   And let's face it, a lot of it is not going to be helpful.   It will try to fill your mind with self-doubt, excuses to avoid taking action and thoughts like, "I can't do this."   So it is especially important for your self-care to spend some quiet time away from the distractions of the day.   Meditation and prayer are two excellent ways to quiet your mind.  It can be very grounding to spend some quiet moments outside if you have access to a quiet spot in nature. If you like meditation or would like to try, Oprah and Deepak Chopra have a wonderful meditation series that is free.  Their  21 Day Meditation Experience is an excellent guided meditation.

Remember, returning to the workforce is a marathon, not a sprint.  You will be able to go the distance by treating your mind and body with kindness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Will you have time to do it all....?'

‘I am going back to work!’ I proudly announced to just about anyone who would listen.    Many people were very supportive, my younger child was heading to kindergarten and though I had indeed devoted my focus to being a full-time mother for the prior several years, I missed the intellectual stimulation and connection with the professional world.   I was surprised by the number of… lukewarm reactions to my proclamation.   ‘What about your kids?', people would ask.   ‘How are you going to manage?’…. ‘How will you have time to do it all?’…. ‘What about your social life?’ (aww… how cute that people actually think my social life could be a real constraint)   ‘Have you thought about a career change… maybe re-train as a teacher or something with mothers’ hours?’ To be honest, at the beginning of my back to work journey, these questions did rattle me a bit.   Obviously, there were some compelling and attractive factors fueling my desire to return to work.   The thought of earning m

A Perfectly Imperfect Re-entry Tale

You GOT the job! After what seems like an eternity of looking you are ready to start your new job. You have that feeling you get on a roller coaster as you head for the first drop, nervous but excited. There is a vision in your head of a parade heralding your triumphant return to the working world. Surely everyone is as happy and excited for you to be there as you are, right? In reality, it's more subtle. Kander and Ebb beautifully describes it in the song A Quiet Thing . The song begins with the lyrics," When it all comes true just the way you planned, its funny the bells don't ring. It's a quiet thing.", that capture how it really feels. Wait...what? Try it's more like Murphy's Law. On my first day back to work, I was prepared. I had mapped out my commuting route. I got up early to make sure I could get the kids off to school and leave for work with plenty of time to spare. I had a killer outfit picked out. I was ready to take on the world. Well i

Informational Interviews: A Getting to Know You Meeting

So, you’re ready to go back to work!  You know you have the skills and the motivation.  You’ve checked the job postings online, maybe even done a few applications.  Now… you wait.