Skip to main content

It's the holidays and workplaces have slowed down, what can you do to boost your job search?

It's nearing year end and the holidays are around the corner -in the back of your mind is the nagging question -what should I be doing to move my job search forward? Keep it simple as there are many competing demands this time of year.

Family, friend, neighborhood and work parties all present opportunities to talk about your job search and the work you might be doing to refresh your skills.  It's a great time to try the new short elevator pitch you have been thinking about.  Or talk to a friend of friend about the steps you have taken to be ready to be back at work. Alison Doyle at thebalance.com shares some holiday networking tips here.

Follow and subscribe to online blogs, twitter feeds, Linkedin and Facebook groups to learn more about industries,  jobs, executives and companies. Information helps you be ready for that one opportunity you are looking for.

 Better yet, Click here to subscribe to our blog.

We know you have worked at getting your skills up to speed, networked, possibly interviewed and may even have re-entered the workforce.  Remember to talk time for yourself and congratulate yourself for all that you have accomplished this year.  Small steps eventually add up to big leaps.

Keep the forward momentum, we wish everyone a wonderful holiday season and look forward what  2018 has in store for us.  We've Got This!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Will you have time to do it all....?'

‘I am going back to work!’ I proudly announced to just about anyone who would listen.    Many people were very supportive, my younger child was heading to kindergarten and though I had indeed devoted my focus to being a full-time mother for the prior several years, I missed the intellectual stimulation and connection with the professional world.   I was surprised by the number of… lukewarm reactions to my proclamation.   ‘What about your kids?', people would ask.   ‘How are you going to manage?’…. ‘How will you have time to do it all?’…. ‘What about your social life?’ (aww… how cute that people actually think my social life could be a real constraint)   ‘Have you thought about a career change… maybe re-train as a teacher or something with mothers’ hours?’ To be honest, at the beginning of my back to work journey, these questions did rattle me a bit.   Obviously, there were some compelling and attractive factors fueling my desire to return to work.   The thought of earning m

A Perfectly Imperfect Re-entry Tale

You GOT the job! After what seems like an eternity of looking you are ready to start your new job. You have that feeling you get on a roller coaster as you head for the first drop, nervous but excited. There is a vision in your head of a parade heralding your triumphant return to the working world. Surely everyone is as happy and excited for you to be there as you are, right? In reality, it's more subtle. Kander and Ebb beautifully describes it in the song A Quiet Thing . The song begins with the lyrics," When it all comes true just the way you planned, its funny the bells don't ring. It's a quiet thing.", that capture how it really feels. Wait...what? Try it's more like Murphy's Law. On my first day back to work, I was prepared. I had mapped out my commuting route. I got up early to make sure I could get the kids off to school and leave for work with plenty of time to spare. I had a killer outfit picked out. I was ready to take on the world. Well i

Informational Interviews: A Getting to Know You Meeting

So, you’re ready to go back to work!  You know you have the skills and the motivation.  You’ve checked the job postings online, maybe even done a few applications.  Now… you wait.